The Railway Museum is located on the site of the former station of the Parenzana narrow-gauge railway, on the Campo Marzio (Field of Mars) in Trieste or the former Sant’Andrea Railway Station, which was first built in 1887 and, in the course of time, became the main railway station of the S. Sabba oil port (1889) and the Parenzana railway (1902).
The museum was founded by a group of enthusiasts and railway workers in 1975, primarily to serve as a meeting place for railway fans. The main goal of the founders was to establish a centre for the preservation of historical railway material at the abandoned station building in Trieste, hoping that it would grow into a real museum dedicated to the history of the rail traffic in Trieste and the surroundings. Their wish came true on 8 March 1985, when the Railway Museum was inaugurated. The collection has considerably grown with time and there is not enough space in the museum today to exhibit all historical material collected in 35 years.
Museo Ferroviario di Trieste Campo Marzio
Via Giulio Cesare 1
T: +39 403794185